Having a wired network at home allows you to have a private, high-speed network for internet access, file sharing, media streaming, online gaming, IP security cameras, and much more.
Here's a step-by-step guide to wiring your home with Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable, courtesy of Instructables.
Step 1: Initial Considerations and Planning
1. Which rooms do I want wire?
2. How many ports do I want in each location?
3. What is a good location for distribution?
4. What path should the cables take?
5. What network speed do I need?
Step 2: Required Tools and Materials
Ethernet crimping tool
Paddle bit or hole saw
Point hand saw
strong string or fish tape
Laptop or Cable Tester
Spool of Cat5e or Cat6 Cables
Single Gang Retrofit Boxes
RJ45 Jacks and Plates
Velcro Strips for Cable Management
Short Patch Cables
For Steps 3-8 please visit Lifehackers guide here, http://goo.gl/5NreuU.